If you use the Bigpond webmail service, you might already know that Telstra, one of the largest telecommunications providers in Australia, provides the finest mailing service under the “Bigpond” brand. What you probably didn’t know, however, is that Telstra had renamed Bigpond’s webmail service to “Telstra Mail.”
So, if you are attempting to connect to your Bigpond email account after a long time, and haven’t been extremely careful with its URL then maybe that’s why you’re encountering troubles and your Bigpond email is not working.
You must use this legitimate URL: https: /signon.telstra.com.au/login, to access the Telstra Bigpond Webmail Login Page. Additionally, your email address must be ending with any one of the following domains: “Bigpond.com”, “bigpond.net.au”, “telstra.com”, for successful Bigpond email login.
However, if your Telstra Bigpond email issues are not related to the ones stated here, then don’t worry, the following write-up walks you through some of the most reliable solutions to resolve your ‘Bigpond email not working’ problem.
General Troubleshooting Tips
Check if Bigpond Mail Servers are Down
Despite using the correct address to the webmail page if you still aren’t able to solve your Telstra email issue and still couldn’t access it, the next thing you should do is check whether the servers of the Telstra Mail are down.
If the servers of the Bigpond email are down, you won’t be able to log into your email account till they are restored to their normal working conditions.
In order to ensure whether it is the case, you can visit the downdetector.com website, which gives you the live status of the Telstra Bigpond Mail server, looking at which you will know whether they are out of service or not.
On the other hand, if the Bigpond email server appears to be operating without a hitch, scroll down and try other tips and solutions listed further in the article.
Ensure Good Internet Speed
It’s needless to say that you need an internet connection to access your Bigpond email account from any device or email client; your device must be connected to a steady Internet. Though your device is connected, still there can be problems while accessing your Bigpond email account because of the internet’s poor speed.
So, you also need to make sure that the speed your device is receiving is enough that you can access your Bigpond email account without any difficulty. In order to ensure this, you can visit a website and if it loads without buffering, then your internet speed is fine and there might be some other difficulty because of which your Bigpond email is not working properly.
Temporarily Turn off Antivirus Program
Next, you might think about temporarily turning off security software on your device, such as firewalls, antivirus software, VPNs, media players, and so on, because sometimes these programs unintentionally start blocking or interfering with an email service’s ability to function normally, resulting in the “not working” issues you’re currently having with your Bigpond email account.
Therefore, disable your security software temporarily to prevent them from interfering with Bigpond’s email service and to examine whether the problem has been fixed or is still present.
In case the ‘Bigpond Mail not working’ issue gets resolved, and you are able to use it properly after turning off the antivirus or firewall program, then consider switching your service provider or contacting customer support for overcoming this issue.
However, if even after disabling the programs you are still tackling Bigpond email problems, then don’t forget to turn it on again.
Reset your Bigpond Email Password
You could think that your Bigpond email password is not working if you are occasionally denied access to your account during login; nevertheless, it’s possible that you are either inputting the wrong password or that someone has hacked your account and changed the password!
So, regardless of whether your Bigpond email account has been hacked or you’ve forgotten your password, if you’re having trouble logging in, you can solve the problem by changing your email password.
Now, without delay, let’s jump right onto the steps stated below to reset your Bigpond email password:
- First off, open the browser on your device, and visit the official Telstra webpage to log into your Bigpond email account.
- Upon reaching the page, fill in your username in the given text field and click on the Continue button.
- Thereafter, you will be directed to a form where you can fill in your username and password, and log in to your Bigpond email account. Since you are facing the ‘Bigpond email password not working’ issue for which you need to reset it, click on the Reset Password option present below the password field.
- On the next page, fill in your username in the designated text field, check ‘I’m not a robot’ and click on the Send button.
- Now, if your username is correct, Telstra will send you a link to reset your password. Open that link, and finally, you will be on the page where you can create a new password for your email account.
Once you have changed your password, again visit the Telstra Bigpond email login page, fill in your credentials, and you should now be able to enter your account.
Regain your Old Lost Bigpond Email Username
Not only a password but also the “Username” of your Telstra email account might be forgotten if you haven’t been to your email account for a long time; which is why, even using the right password, you are still having a Bigpond email login problem.
Nonetheless, by following this step-by-step procedure stated below, you can quickly get the username for your Bigpond email account:
- To begin with, visit the Telstra Mail Sign In page.
- Now, since you have forgotten your Telstra email username, click on the Recover Username link present below the text field.
- After that, you will have to choose one of the following options to continue recovering your Telstra Mail username, and then click on the Let’s Get Started option:
- Email Address
- Telstra Phone Number
- Telstra Account Number
- Based on the selected option, you will next have to provide that and any other additional information that is linked to your account and click on the Continue button.
- Lastly, follow some prompts shown on the screen, and when you will be done with them, you will be provided with your old lost Bigpond email username.
Troubleshooting Tips when Bigpond Email is not Working on Browser
Check your Browser’s Compatibility with Telstra Bigpond Mail
Bigpond email might be causing login problems or not sending or receiving emails while accessing it through the browser if you’re trying to access your email account using a web browser that isn’t compatible with it. If that’s the case, you can expect to keep getting this difficulty every time you will access your account through that browser.
Therefore, it is advised that you first determine whether your particular web browser is compatible with the Bigpond email service or not. If it appears to be incompatible, you must switch to a different browser.
For example, if you are using Internet Explorer, the support for which has been completely discontinued in 2022, you should think about using Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge to properly load Bigpond email.
Clear your Browser Cookies and Cache
Corrupted cookies and cache files stored in the browser are another reason for ‘Bigpond email not working’ issue, or Bigpond email sending problems. Nevertheless, these issues can be easily resolved by clearing them from your browser.
Although the precise steps for deleting the browsing data are different for each browser, the general process that most browser follows is stated below, which will help you remove the unnecessarily stored data from the browser:
- First off, you will have to open the browser, click on the menu option that is generally present at the top of the window and select the Settings option from the menu that will appear.
- After you are directed to the Settings page, look for the Privacy and Security section and enter it.
- Thereafter, go to the Browsing Data section and click on the option to clear the Cookies and Cache files.
- Finally, select the time range for which you want to clear the browser-stored files, and confirm the removal.
And with that, your browsing data will be cleared out, then visit the Bigpond login page, enter your account’s login credentials and see if the problem still persists.
Uninstall Malicious Extension from your Browser
Next, you should think about uninstalling plugins, extensions and add-ons from your web browser, if you are still having Telstra email issues and your email account isn’t working properly.
This is because some extensions that you download from third-party websites can be malicious, which can completely obstruct or interfere with the normal functioning of your email account.
Solutions for Telstra Bigpond Email Issues with Outlook
Check if Outlook is working in Offline Mode
If your Bigpond email account is not receiving emails, or you couldn’t send emails when you are accessing through Outlook, then you should first verify whether the Work Offline option is enabled in it or not. There are times when it automatically switches on, which might cause problems like the ones you’re presently having with your Outlook-configured Bigpond email account.
Because if Outlook is operating in offline mode, it will lose connection with the Telstra email server, and until you switch off the “Work Offline” mode, your account will not function correctly.
Follow the steps listed below for doing so:
- First, launch the Outlook app on your system.
- Click on Menu and select the Preferences Group option.
- After that, switch to the Send/Receive tab.
- On the right side of the Send/Receive tab, look for the Work Offline option and make sure that it is turned off.
Additionally, you should match the Bigpond email server settings that are mentioned in the end of the article, with your current one to fix the “Bigpond email not working on Outlook” problem. And while doing so, if necessary, you must adjust those settings, and after saving the changes it is most likely that they will assist you in resolving the problems with your Bigpond email account.
Remove and Re-add Bigpond Email Account in Outlook
If the above solutions weren’t useful in your situation, it’s possible that your Outlook setup for your Bigpond email account is incorrect. Nevertheless, whether you are aware of it or not, reconfiguration could be able to permanently repair the “Bigpond email not working” issues on your Outlook email client.
In light of that, here’s how to reconfigure your Telstra email account on Outlook:
Removing the Account:
- First, open the Outlook program on your machine and click on the File menu option.
- In the Info section, click on the Account Settings drop-down menu.
- Next, select the Manage Profiles option from the menu.
- On the following pop-up, click on the Show Profiles button.
- After that, select your Bigpond Email Account, and right-click on it. This will open a contextual menu, from where you have to click on the Remove option, and your Bigpond email account will be removed from Outlook.
Re-adding the Account:
- Once again, open Outlook and click on the File menu option.
- Under the Info section, click on the Add Account button.
- After that, the screen will appear where you have to enter your Bigpond email address. Now, to manually configure your account to eliminate any of the Bigpond email problems, you have to click on the Advanced Options, and select the ‘Let me set up my account manually’ option. Then, click on the Connect button.
- Next, you have to select the Account Type. There will be two options, POP and IMAP, but you have to select IMAP, otherwise, your Bigpond account emails might go missing when you access your account from the web or other devices.
- Thereafter, the Account Settings screen will appear, which should be already filled with the server information. Nevertheless, you can match them with the ones given at the end of the article.
- Once you are done with the server settings, click on the Next button.
- On the last screen, enter your account’s password and click on the Connect button.
With this done, your Telstra Bigpond email account will be reconfigured in your Outlook, and hopefully, you won’t face any Bigpond email sending or receiving problems.
Run Outlook in Safe Mode
Even after going through the solutions given above, your Bigpond email is still not working, then the next step is to launch Outlook in Safe Mode. This will open Outlook with its basic settings and with add-ons turned off, which will help you to ensure whether the add-ons installed in Outlook affect its ability to run properly alongside other programs and software on your PC.
So, if, after running it in Safe Mode, your Telstra Bigpond email works properly, then the corrupted Outlook add-ons can be the reason for your difficulties.
To launch Outlook in Safe mode, just hit the ‘Windows logo + R’ keys from the keyboard, type “Outlook/SafeMode” in the wizard box that appears, and then press the “Enter” key. Now, see whether you are able to use it properly or not.
In case, your Bigpond email issues are resolved in Safe Mode, then check which of the add-ins was causing the issue by turning them off one by one and subsequently checking the mail functioning. You can get precise steps for doing so from MS Support Page.
However, if the issue still persists in the Safe Mode, then get in touch with MS Customer Team to get further assistance.
What to do when Bigpond Mail is not Working on your Phone?
If you are using your Bigpond email on your Android or iPhone, then you can follow some simple tips stated below to resolve problems you are having with your email account:
- The very first thing that I recommend in the situation where you are not receiving Bigpond emails or couldn’t send them or any other issue, is to clear the cache of the email app which you are using to access your Telstra Bigpond email account.
- Sometimes, the outdated version of the email app can also cause hindrances in accessing your email account and preventing its effective usage. In such a scenario you are required to update your email app to its latest version.
- Simple troubleshooting methods like restarting the phone and updating its OS also helps in the removal of any background issue that might be the reason for ‘Bigpond email not working’ issue on your phone.
However, if the above solutions weren’t useful, and you are still having difficulty in using your Bigpond email account on your phone, then follow some advanced solutions described below:
Reconfigure Bigpond Email Account
Removing the Bigpond email account from the email client app and adding it again with the correct login credentials can also help you overcome Telstra email problems.
Listed below are the steps how you can reconfigure your Bigpond email account on your Android or iPhone after removing it from your email client app:
On Android (Gmail):
- To begin with, open the Gmail app on your phone, and tap on your profile icon from the top right corner.
- Tap on the Add Account option on the screen that will appear.
- See if Telstra Mail or Bigpond Mail is listed in the email service providers list on the next page, and tap on it, otherwise, tap on Other.
- Fill in your email address on the next page, and tap on the Manual Setup option at the bottom of the screen.
- On the next page, select Personal (IMAP) as your account type.
- After that, fill in the mail server settings, incoming and outgoing for your Bigpond email account (given at the end of the article).
- Select the Sync Frequency and choose any of the option/s displayed on the following screen, as you find fit, and tap on Next.
- Finally, enter your name on the screen, and tap on Next. Voilà, your Bigpond email account is reconfigured on your Android Gmail app, and hopefully you will no longer face ‘Bigpond Webmail not working/not sending/not receiving’ emails issues.
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Tap on the Account & Passwords section inside Settings.
- Then, tap on the Add Account option.
- Tap on Telstra Mail/Bigpond Webmail, if given in the email service provider’s list, otherwise, tap on Other.
- Tap on the Add Mail Account option.
- After that, fill in the following information: Name, email address, password, and description, and then tap on the Next button.
- Thereafter, the iPhone will try to verify your email information on its own, however, if it couldn’t verify, then jump to the next step. If your information is verified, you will be directed to the screen where you can sync other apps like Calendar, Notes, Mail, etc. with your email account. There, make sure to turn on or select Mail, tap on the Save button, and your account is reconfigured.
- If the iPhone couldn’t verify your account, you will have to configure it yourself. For doing so, tap on the IMAP option.
- On the next page, fill in your mail server settings, both incoming and outgoing, (given at the end of the article) and tap on the Save button.
- Finally, after successful verification, turn on Mail and tap on Save, and your account will be reconfigured on your iPhone.
Reset Network Settings
Resetting Network settings on your phone will help you eliminate any network related issues that might be the cause of your Bigpond email problems, and, thereby, resolving them.
Here’s how you can do this:
- To begin with, open the Settings app on your phone.
- Tap on the General settings section.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the next page, and tap on the Reset option.
- Select the Reset Network Settings option from the next page.
- Finally, a pop-up will appear asking you to confirm the action. There, you have to again tap on the Reset Network Settings option.
- Launch the Settings app on your device.
- Scroll down in the settings page, and tap on the General Management section.
- Tap on the Reset option present on the next screen.
- After that, select the Reset Network Settings option from the screen that will appear next.
- Select the Reset Settings option. After tapping on this option, you may be asked to enter your phone’s password or PIN.
- Lastly, tap on the Reset Settings option on the pop-up to confirm the action.
Bigpond/Telstra Mail Server Settings
Mail server settings are very important for the smooth functioning of an email account in any third-party email client like Outlook, Apple Mail, Gmail, etc.
Make sure to configure both incoming and outgoing mail server settings, as specified below. Though, for incoming mail servers, two protocols are used, IMAP and POP, IMAP is preferred. If, in any of your email clients, POP is selected for your incoming server, it is advised to change it to IMAP and also modify other incoming server information accordingly.
Now, here are these settings:
|Incoming Mail Server||Outgoing Mail Server|
|Account Type – IMAP|| |
|Account Type – POP|| || |
IMPORTANT: Above Telstra/Bigpond Mail Server settings are valid for email addresses having domains: ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ and ‘@telstra.com’.